Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Trees and Moving...."God bless you everyone."

I spent this afternoon putting the ornaments on our Christmas tree. Over the years I have always done this with my son's help. He is a little older now - 26 but we still do it when we can get together. But he was out of town today with his wife.

My grandson was supposed to help but apparently the Cartoon Network won the battle for his attention.

The holidays can be stressful. Shopping for gifts, preparing for trips (or for company) and all the other stuff!  And if you are selling you house or moving during the holidays, it is even more challenging.

As I placed every one of those 100+ ornaments on the small tree, I was amazed at how many of them brought back memories.  Like the hand sewn gingerbread man my wife sent me two months after we met 33 years ago. It was displayed on that little tree in sickbay on the USS Canisteo while deployed overseas.  Or, the baby's first Christmas ornament from 1984.  Or, the "It's a Wonderful Life" ornament which reminds me of my favorite Christmas movie - yep black and white!


Every Christmas is a new memory that will be looked back on in future years with a bit of nostalgia.  Make the best of it - life is too short!

To all who stumble upon my little blog, as Tiny Tim stated so eloquently in Charles Dicken's classic, A Christmas Carol, "God bless you everyone."