Monday, January 12, 2009

Who pays the real estate agent?

ast week I was discussing the market with a potential real estate client. I was a little shocked when she asked me how much I charged to help find a place.

I had made a big mistake! I had assumed she knew it would not cost her anything for me to assist her. So I wanted to place a small post that explained the most common "payment" arrangements in the Brevard County Florida real estate market.

  • If you are looking for a rental property that is listed in the MLS, the owner pays the "renter's agent," not the renter.
  • If you are the buyer of a property that is listed, the seller pays your buyer's agent. [Even if you are interested in a FSBO, your agent may be able to negotiate the seller paying their fee.]
  • If you are the seller of a property, you will be paying your seller's agent and the buyer's agent.
If you are considering any transaction involving real estate, call a real estate agent and discuss the process and cost.

The bottom line: get represented!


Gary Waters, Florida licensed real estate agent, Century 21 Baytree Realty, Rockledge, Florida. Call me directly at 321-693-3850 or email me at agent@moving2brevard.com. Please read my other blogs, Florida Homes for Sale, and, Observations from a Viera Florida Real Estate Agent.