Wednesday, October 10, 2012

How much home can you afford to spend?


As a real estate agent I am not the one who should answer that question.  While most real estate agents get paid based on a commission basis it is not my desire to “over sell” a buyer - ever.

I want my buyers to be comfortable with the property they purchased and the price they paid.  I want them to call on me again as well as refer me to others.

So how much can you afford should you spend when purchasing a home in Brevard County, Florida?

The answer is best determined through a process whereby the buyer considers their long term plans (job security, lifestyle changes, debt, space requirements, etc.).

The answer is more than just “how much do you make?”

As a real estate professional I prefer to take a consultative approach when working with buyers in Brevard County.  I will provide the answers to buyer questions.  I will refer to resources when I do not know the answer.  I will ask questions to either get a response or cause the customer to ponder the answer.  I will educate when necessary to inform.


But I will not tell a buyer how much they can afford to spend on a home.  What you spend today on a home creates an obligation - every month - for years to come.