Thursday, September 4, 2014

Home Buyer Tips: Should a buyer give the seller feedback?

I recently read a discussion among real estate agents on a Facebook real estate forum about feedback.  The discussion seemed to lean toward being critical of real estate agents who did not provide any feedback to listing agents after having shown their listing.

For those unfamiliar with the term it refers to a response that answers questions like...
  • How well did the property show?  
  • What did your buyers think?  
  • What do you think about the price?  
  • Any recommendations to help me sell this home?  
When I list a home I tell my sellers that feedback will be rare, possibly disingenuous and likely not very useful.  Still, I ask for it because my sellers expect it.

I have mixed feelings about feedback.   Many buyers see six to eight or more homes in a day.  And the ones that stick out are either really positive or not so great.  Somewhere in the middle is where most properties fall - not quite the one but still within the defined base needs.

When working with buyers I ask general questions like thoughts about property, location, price and if it is a consideration.  I offer buyers writing materials to take notes while viewing properties.  This is key to getting their feedback later - feedback I can use as a buyer's agent but not necessarily share with others.

The focus of my questions is to narrow WHAT MY BUYERS ARE LOOKING FOR IN A HOME...not what your sellers are offering.   During this discussion there will be some answers your seller may or may not want to hear.  Further there may be responses I can't share. 

As I see it there are two forms of legitimate feedback - an offer or no offer.  Any other feedback is most likely fluff.

Besides, if the house showed well and was priced well there would have been an offer.

Ready to buy or sell your Melbourne, Florida home?  Call me at 32-693-3850 if I can assit you in any way, please.
agent@moving2brevard.com

 Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net