Friday, June 29, 2012

Sure, swim with the alligators as long as you know the risk


There is a risk when going it alone.  This is true whether you are renovating your kitchen, selling your own house as a FSBO (for sale by owner), or managing your own rental property.

I had a landlord's previous tenant call me recently because their deposit had not been returned.  I explained that I was not the property manager and recommended they read the statutes. I then emailed the statutes to my "Do It Yourself" landlord who was going to immediately contact the tenant who moved out last month.

This served to remind me that it is imperative we understand the implications of doing things without the assistance of a professional.

Selling your own home is not a proven successful strategy for the majority of home owners.  I am not sure about the success history of owner landlords.

I recognize my limitations so I have never attempted a major home renovation job.  I have never sold my own home without the use of a Realtor®.  When I owned a rental property I had a property manager handle all tenants.

Knowing your limitations is key in managing your risk exposure.

 If you are considering selling your Viera, Suntree or Rockledge, Florida home, call me to discuss how I can work for you.

If you own rental property in Brevard County, Florida and are seeking assistance with tenant placement, call me.  If you would like me to refer a property management company, just ask!