Thursday, June 6, 2013

The decision to buy a home... Where do I start?

One usually does not wake up one morning and say to themselves "I want to buy a house." 

A decision of this magnitude is usually arrived at through careful consideration starting with "Should I buy or rent?"

I routinely witness the excitement in many people when looking at homes or condos.  Is this what they call the thrill of the hunt?

But you don't go house hunting without preparation.

How does one prepare to buy a home?

The first step, after the decision to purchase, is to deal with the finances.  This can not be over emphasized.

Without a solid financial plan (budget, down payments, closing expenses, pre-approved mortgage) the time spent looking could be a complete waste of everyone's time.

There was a time about ten years ago where I found myself showing houses to snowbirds (affectionate reference to those northerners wintering in Florida) almost non-stop.  Many of these folks never bought a home.  They were not ready to buy a house in Florida but rather had what I coined "orange juice in their veins."

I thought they wanted to buy.  In reality I now believe most woke up one morning and said to themselves "I want to buy a house."

The lesson learned early on was this... Buying a house involves a plan starting with ones ability to purchase and moving forward.

Considering buying a house or condo in Florida, call me at 321-693-3850.  Lets discuss your plan starting with your ability to buy.