Thursday, January 23, 2014

Home Buyer Tips: What about the neighbors?

A common question real estate agents receive when working with home buyers goes something like this.... "What about this neighborhood? Is it safe?  Are the people nice?"

This question touches on an article I posted here recently about some questions real estate agents don't usually answer.

Although I do not specifically answer this question I advise prospective buyers to drive through the neighborhood after folks come home from work and the children are out of school.  I recommended they walk the neighborhood and speak with some neighbors.  Additionally a good idea is to call the local police department.

 Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some may wonder if the neighbors will be completely honest.  Who knows for sure?

If enough people are asked perhaps a valid conclusion can be formulated.  I guess this why pollsters sample more than just a handful of people.

The skeptic in me knows it is almost always in the neighbors best interest to speak glowingly of their neighborhood.   Why would one not promote their neighborhood? 

When I am showing homes and the occasion presents I always take the opportunity to speak with neighbors if they are outside.  Neighbors always seem a bit curious about who the new neighbors might be.

Through the years I can not recall a single circumstance where an individual ever said "nice house but old so and so next door is a real jerk."

As a listing agent I can't recall a seller make a negative comment about their neighbors or home owner association.   If you are selling your home I suggest you read 10 ways your neighbor can kill your chances of selling your house! by Fred Griffin.

Like most things in life, perhaps what a neighbor (or seller) says should be taken with a grain of salt.

As a buyer you can only use the best information available to make purchase decisions.

Buying or selling a house in Viera, Florida?  Call me at 321-693-3850 if I can help in any way.

agent@moving2brevard.com