Friday, June 24, 2016

Things Sellers Say..."I don't have to sell" and more.

Anyone who has ever been on more than a few listings appointments has likely heard the words "I don't have to sell" uttered.  To be honest it is most often followed by a "I am not going to give it away" statement.

As a Melbourne, Florida real estate agent I don't get defensive or respond to these comments in an adversarial manner.

Very often, what is said is not what is meant. 

So, what does it really mean?

On the surface it means...uh oh...not motivated!  

The gut response from an agent who is only interested in listing their house is "Why did you call me then?"

But deep down it could mean something else...

Any real estate agent worth listing your home for sale (good real estate agent) should have the skill-set to address this response appropriately.
  • Part of being a good real estate agent is being a good listener.
  • Part of being a good real estate agent is knowing what questions to ask (and when).
  • Part of being a good real estate agent is being able to advise in a positive, reassuring, easily understood manner.  
  • Part of being a good real estate agent is knowing that "Why did you call me?" is rarely an appropriate response.
"I don't have to sell" may really mean  "I have an interest in selling but I am not desperate." 

It may signal a distrust of the real estate agent in front of them at the moment. 

It may be the seller's way of saying...Tell me why I should hire you to sell my Melbourne, Florida home.
 
Sellers need to know their real estate agent is working for them and not against them.
Part of being a good real estate agent is being a team builder beginning with the prospective seller....even if they don't have to sell!

Ready to sell your your Melbourne, Florida home?  Call me or text me at 321-693-3850, please!

agent@moving2brevard.com